Starter Motor

A place to share Tech Tips and Repair information on Sleds with other club members.

Moderators: Sleddog, mfoster, ACX2

markkazoo
My Ride: Ski Doo Renegade Sport

Starter Motor

Post by markkazoo »

hi-

My starter motor is bad on my arctic cat Pantera. Rather than replace it, I'm just going to remove it along with the flexible shaft.

I plan on just wraping the positive and negative leads to the starter motor in electric tape. Does anyone know if this will present any problems? Also, do I need to keep the battery installed (even though dead) to ensure all the circuitry is complete? Or, can I remove the battery and wrap those leads in electric tape as well?

Thanks for any insight.

Mark Stuhldreher
Vitarious
My Ride: 06 Polaris 700 IQ Touring

Re: Starter Motor

Post by Vitarious »

Remove the starter motor and shaft, don't wrap the leads, remove the starter motor wires as well. One will go to ground (Unless it gets ground via the connection to the engine) and the positive lead will go to a relay. Hold on to them in case you ever decide the rip cord is for the birds. As for the dead battery, a dead battery is worse than no battery at all. The only variable here would be in the off case the charging circuit and rectifier need an additional load than what the engine presents to it which if true would shorten the life of one or both of those circuits (Charging circuit and rectifier). removing the battery will not cause any open circuits, just be aware if you have one or two wires going to the positive or negative terminals. If you do then you may need to tie them together somehow. Again, it is best to completely remove the wires from the chassis as opposed to taping them off.

Good luck.
Chad L. Tremble
Snomad at large...

:sledder:
Vitarious
My Ride: 06 Polaris 700 IQ Touring

Post by Vitarious »

"...just be aware if you have one or two wires going to the positive or negative terminals. If you do then you may need to tie them together somehow..." Don't tie the red and black together. Just to be clear - if you have 2 red wires running to the battery it means that the red wires would need to be connected. If you have to black wires going to negative then it should be safe to connect them to any ground point.
Chad L. Tremble
Snomad at large...

:sledder:
ACX2
My Ride: 12 Renegade 600, 15 Renegade Backcountry 600

Post by ACX2 »

Agree with Vitarious, you should remove the wire(s) going to starter. Although I'm not familiar with this sled most likely just a cable back to a solenoid. As far as removing battery , probably could do it, but I would check with dealer to be sure charging system will be o.k. good luck!
markkazoo
My Ride: Ski Doo Renegade Sport

Post by markkazoo »

Thanks Alan and Chad!
Sleddog
My Ride: 2014 Switchback Assault

Post by Sleddog »

Although these two gentlemen offered some thoughtful and expert advice, let me say this. Dump the Cat, buy a Polaris, problem solved.
Drive a Hybrid. I need your gas!
ACX2

Post by ACX2 »

Or, if you want to go with no. 1..................SKI-Doo !
mfoster
My Ride: 2013 Adventure, 01 Edge

Post by mfoster »

Al, I thought you said Yamaha was number one..... Bought a 2 stroke and divorced yamaha..... lol
ACX2

Post by ACX2 »

Yamaha IS # 1 in quality
Ski-Doo IS # 1 in sales