Short track or long track

A place to share Tech Tips and Repair information on Sleds with other club members.

Moderators: Sleddog, mfoster, ACX2

feyerfiter
My Ride: Arctic cat Firecat & Arctic Cat Sabercat

Short track or long track

Post by feyerfiter »

The wife and I bought a new house this year so not much time for riding this year but we'll being hitting it hard next year. And with that I may have her talked into buying a new trailer and 2 sleds. (Yes they WILL be Arctic cats)

Here is the big question, short (128) or a long (141) track? I'll be riding on and off the trails so it will be a 141 for me but the wife mostly (99%) rides on trail.. I'm looking at a Xf 1100 LXR (141") or a El Tigre 600 (128") for her. She's a southern girl so she don't have much experience riding. She has a 2004 sabercat 500 right now and seems to enjoy it but you how suspension technology has advanced since 2004. I just want to ensure she have the best ride possible so I can keep her riding as much as possible. Guys, you know what I'm talking about... Happy wife happy life!!!!

And for the arctic cat haters, we will NOT be switching to Polaris or Ski Doo!!! Ron, that was just for you!!! Thanks for your opinions and your input.
BIGFUN27
My Ride: 17 Polaris Assualt

Re: Short track or long track

Post by BIGFUN27 »

Long track will soak up the whoops which make for a smoother ride but being a Cat it really don't matter what you buy long or short the all burn to the ground just the same my advise is a Renegade or a Free Style if you want a happy wife /happy life put her on a Ski-Doo
Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!
Merle President of the Snomads
ACX2
My Ride: 12 Renegade 600, 15 Renegade Backcountry 600

Post by ACX2 »

I would think the El Tigre 600 would be a fine trail sled. If your talking on trail the 141 is unnecessary, except as "backup " for your 141. (you are talking artic cat.....). Although the 600 is a first year motor (again, arctic cat) did you consider the 7000 with the Excellent Yamaha 3 cyl. engine? If I ever had to ride a cat that would be the one!
Gabe
My Ride: 2016 Arctic Cat

Post by Gabe »

Jason,

I would think twice about an El Tigre for the wife. They come with the Fox Float shocks that are set up with the Sno Pro tuning, great for bashing moguls and banging ditches, but quite harsh for the trails. She might appreciate the ride (and tall windshield) of the LXR much better. Also, even though the XF 1100 comes in a LXR version, it does not ride nearly as good as the 137" or the 129" due to the fact that the 141 has the mountain suspension in it.

As for the 141, I've been on one for the past 4 years. It's ok, but you do notice the extra length. If you plan to do any serious off-trail riding, get the 800 and avoid the 4-strokes. The weight of the 4-stroke is much more noticeable off-trail than on.
BIGFUN27
My Ride: 17 Polaris Assualt

Post by BIGFUN27 »

You could always buy Jodie's old sled
Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!
Merle President of the Snomads